This soup is a favorite of mine and everyone who has tried it loves it! I came up with the idea for this soup while I was walking around the store wondering if I could make a simple soup with the spinach I had left over. I was able to buy some ingredients that sounded like they would work and I made this incredible soup. I wanted everyone to try it I was so proud of my creation! I’m excited to share this recipe with you and I hope you love it as much as I do.
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 pound of mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium sweet onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 2 large stalks of celery (chopped)
- 2 large carrots (chopped)
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of cannellini beans (drained)
- 1 tablespoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon of basil
- ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes (or more if you like spicy)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 16 oz of chicken broth
- In a pot on medium heat, pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil, then add Italian sausage. (If the sausage sticks, add about ⅓ cup of water)
- Chop up the sausage with a spatula as it cooks in the pot.
- Once the sausage is cooked, remove it from the pot and put in a separate bowl.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic, celery, and carrots. Add about ½ cup of the chicken broth and cook veggies until they are soft.
- Add the spinach until it has cooked down, and then place the sausage back in and add the beans and canned tomatoes.
- Add the oregano, parsley, basil, and red pepper flakes.
- Add the rest of the chicken broth, then season with salt and pepper to taste (I add about a teaspoon of both) and let the soup simmer for 15-20 minutes.